NBA

Boston Are Looking To Trade Their Number 1 Pick

By

on

Everything is coming up Boston this year. The Celtics managed to steal the 1 seed in the East from the Cavs just before the playoffs started, and now they’ve managed to steal the number 1 overall pick in this year’s draft off of Brooklyn.

So what does a team that’s already in the conference finals do with a number 1 draft pick? Trade it, apparently. Celtics team president Danny Ainge is ready to explore every bit of value of that pick, whether it is drafting the best player or trading the pick away in return for a missing piece of the puzzle.

“At the trade deadline we were trading away the possibility of the No. 1 pick, a 25 percent chance of the No. 1 pick,” Ainge said on a conference call Tuesday night, according to PBT’s Kurt Helin. “But that’s a 75 percent chance of not having that pick, and that’s how teams look at it, which is probably why we didn’t get a deal done. Now we have the No. 1 pick and we will explore the value of it.”

This is the first time that Boston has acquired the No. 1 pick in the modern era, and only the second time in team history. The team could dangle this pick to the Pacers for PG13, the Utah Jazz for Gordon Hayward, and the Chicago Bulls for Jimmy Butler. Either of the three would give the team a primary or secondary scorer to pair alongside All-Star point guard Isaiah Thomas, as all of them are proven 20-point-plus scorers in the league.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *